Following is the raw data from the survey I conducted earlier this month: Musical Arts in Columbus. Here are some details on the survey itself.
* Taken June 4-18, 2013
* 192 attempts at the survey: 177 complete, 15 incomplete. 111 online, 66 via paper in person at the Arts Festival. Incomplete surveys are not included in these totals.
* 172 responses were from the U.S. 1 response each came from: Taiwan, Puerto Rico, Germany, Austria and the United Kingdom.
* 10 Multiple Choice Questions. Number of questions determined by limits on free-survey taking sites. Polldaddy.com was used here because it is tied to WordPress which houses this blog.
* Demographic data such as gender, age and zip code were not included because of limitations of questions that could be asked.
* Survey was my own, though I did unofficially ask members of the Columbus Symphony Orchestra if they had suggestions on questions, and they did. Question 10 was suggested by the CSO itself. I adjusted the wording to make it less formal and converted it to multiple choice format while still allowing for open answers (Other).
* Numbers are real, percentages are guides. Some may total 99 or 101% if you add them up, but that’s because I rounded either up or down when doing the match. (i.e. Question 6 has this example: 38 / 177 is 21.4%, noted below as 21%, hence a total of 99% on that question.
* Some questions (Questions 2, 3, 7 and 10) allowed for multiple responses, so actually adding responses or percentages will indicate a much higher than expected total, but each number or percentage is indicative of the number of people choosing that particular option in and of itself, not the number of people choosing that option as opposed to another.
Subsequent blog posts will split these questions out and delve into the topics raised below. They will also include summaries of the written responses allowed whenever “Other” was an option.
I would like to again thank everyone who participated in this survey. Your time and input needed to do so are greatly appreciated!
Thanks – Heather
|Question 1: Which grouping of musicians best exemplifies classical music?|
|W. A. Mozart, J.S. Bach, Sir Neville Marriner||164||92%|
|Led Zeppelin, The Doors and Pink Floyd||5||3%|
|Any music by dead people||3||2%|
|Robert Johnson, Louis Armstrong, Dinah Washington||2||1%|
|The Beatles, Beach Boys, The Tokens||1||1%|
|Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller||1||1%|
|Question 2: Which of the following musical instruments have you ever played? (Check up to 2)|
|I’ve never played anything beyond spoons or a toy kazoo.||15||8%|
|Question 3: For which of the following musical ensembles in the Columbus area have you attended performances? (Check all that apply)|
|Columbus Symphony Orchestra||113||64%|
|Pro Musica Chamber Orchestra||47||27%|
|I do not attend concerts or musical performances||32||18%|
|New Albany Symphony Orchestra||7||4%|
|Question 4: How many classical music concerts with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra (i.e. not Pops) have you attended in the last year?|
|4 or more||20||11%|
|Question 5: Who is the Columbus Symphony Orchestra’s current music director (conductor)?|
|I have no earthly idea||29||16%|
|Wesley Keith Schultz||12||7%|
|Sir George Solti||6||3%|
|Question 6: When donating to a charitable organization (e.g. Mid Ohio Food Bank, United Way, Red Cross, etc.), how do you typically make donations?|
|Online with a credit card||80||45%|
|In person using cash (donation box, etc.)||38||21%|
|Mailing a check||38||21%|
|Question 7: Have you ever donated to any Columbus area musical ensembles? If so, which ones? (Check all that apply)|
|I have not donated to any Columbus-area musical ensembles||121||68%|
|Columbus Symphony Orchestra||36||20%|
|ProMusica Chamber Orchestra||8||5%|
|New Albany Symphony Orchestra||2||1%|
|Question 8: How much did you spend on tickets the last time you attended a musical or concert? (Any kind of music – rock, classical, jazz, country, etc.)|
|$0 – $50||95||54%|
|More than $100||14||8%|
|Question 9: How much do you think it costs to attend a classical music concert with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra?|
|$0 – $25||30||17%|
|More than $100||2||1%|
|Question 10: Traditionally, symphony orchestras connect with a specialized segment of residents. In what ways do you think the Columbus Symphony Orchestra can better connect to the central Ohio community-at-large? (Check up to 3)|
|Musicians / staff at festivals and other public events||96||54%|
|More K-12 Educational programs||64||36%|
|Radio / TV Interviews with the Music Director / Conductor / Musicians||59||33%|
|Classical Music for kids (interactive website)||46||26%|
|Adult educational programs||42||24%|
|Q&A after concerts – Musicians||31||17%|
|Q&A after concerts – Music Director / Conductor||26||15%|
|Play the national anthem at local sporting events||24||14%|